Mandy has worked at Cranfield Defence and Security since 2004 and is the Information Specialist for Engineering. She supports the staff, researchers and taught students in the Centre for Defence Engineering and the Centre for Electronic Warfare. She teaches a wide range of skills including effective searching, critical evaluation, avoidance of plagiarism and referencing. She is available for one to one appointments and provides advice on subjects such as literature searching, where to publish, impact, open access and the REF.
She is also the Research Support Coordinator for the Barrington Library and a member of the CDS Doc Com Team. In this role she coordinates and delivers Library sessions during the research student induction weeks, co-organises events such as the Defence and Security Doctoral Symposium, the Research Support Networking Event and delivers additional sessions through the CDS Doc Com training programme.
Mandy sits on various project groups, including the cross-campus Research Support Master Group, the Study Skills Project Group and the Assessment and Feedback Working Group.
She is currently working towards her FHEA.
Additional roles within Cranfield
- First Aider
- Accessibility Officer for Barrington Library
- CILIP, the library and information association
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Secretary of the DARTS (Discovering Academic Research Training and Support) committee, through which she co-organises the biennial DARTS conference
- Member of SWELs (South West Engineering Librarians) group
Publications and conference presentations
- Smith, M.J. (2018) Mapping the information needs of researchers and research students. Presented at: DARTS6 (Discover Academic Research Training and Support) Conference. Taunton, Devon. 24th May.
- Smith, M.J., Knowles, R.K. and Goff, J.C. (2017) 'PG STEM support at Cranfield Defence and Security', USTLG Autumn 2017 – Understanding postgraduate STEM users. Available at: http://www.ustlg.org/?page_id=1158
- Barefoot, A., Cooksley, H., Crossley, J., Heath, A., Sleat, A., Smith, M. and Stevens, C. (2017) 'Changes in the research support landscape over the last ten+ years: reflections on the DARTS conference series 2005–2018', SCONUL Focus, 69, pp. 74-77. Available at: https://www.sconul.ac.uk/sites/default/files/documents/SCONUL_Focus_69.pdf.
- Smith, M.J. and Betts-Gray, M. (2016) Finding out what researchers “really, really want": the structured interview. Presented at: Measuring Value: The Impact of Information Literacy and its Evaluation Conference. Birmingham City University, May 4th. Available at: http://libguides.bcu.ac.uk/c.php?g=302953&p=2021573
- Smith, M.J., Humphries, C. and Woodfield, H. (2011) Supporting our students Presented at: Cranfield University Academic Conference. Cranfield University, 14 July.
- Smith, M.J. & Knowles, R.A. (2011) Reflections of embedding information literacy into a postgraduate multi-cultural institution. Presented at: LILAC 2011 Conference. London, United Kingdom. 19th April.
- Smith, M.J. (2009) 'Singing in the rain – a first timer at Umbrella', Aerospace and Defence Librarians Group Newsletter, 21(1), pp. 18-21
Student Led Teaching Awards:
- Best Campus Support Staff, CDS, 2012-2013
- Unsung Hero 2018-2019
- Research support
- Information literacy
- Student feedback